Photosynthetic organisms, our planet's greatest chemists, form the foundations for human health by providing us with food, fuel, materials and drugs. Yet, our understanding of these organisms is in its infancy. The Jonikas laboratory aims to enable advances in sustainability by developing transformative tools and resources for photosynthetic organisms.
The laboratory seeks a full-time Research Specialist I/II who will join a vibrant team that aims to place genes of photosynthetic eukaryotes into pathways on a genome-wide scale using high-throughput genetics. The laboratory head is dedicated to providing laboratory members with a nurturing training environment.
• Generate a collection of hundreds of thousands of random DNA insertion algal mutants and contribute to mapping their insertions. This includes:
- Robotic picking and replication of algal mutants.
- Growth of algal cultures under different conditions.
- Extraction of DNA from algal cultures.
- Molecular biology including PCR.
• Characterize mutants using genetic and molecular assays.
• Contribute to the project intellectually.
• Work collaboratively with a postdoc in an effort to generate a critical resource for the scientific community.
More information about the laboratory can be found here: https://jonikaslab.princeton.edu
To apply, please submit a cover letter, CV (containing GPA if recent graduate) and contact information for three references.
• 1 year of molecular biology laboratory experience.
• Highly motivated, dedicated, tenacious, problem solving attitude.
• Must have great attention to detail.
• Excellent oral and written English communication skills.
• Must be able to manage own time and prioritize tasks.
• Must be able to lift at least 30 lbs and occasionally use a ladder.
• Outstanding academic record with a Bachelor’s degree in molecular biology or a related field.
• Ability to independently troubleshoot experiments.
• Experience with sterile technique, PCR, gel electrophoresis, cloning or Western blotting.
• Experience with Chlamydomonas, E. coli or yeast
• Expertise in photosynthesis or carbon concentrating mechanisms
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW